Upgrading for numpies | The Legend of Mir

Upgrading for numpies

Gabbsi

Newby
So I'm a little confused with the salvage/upgrade system. Would someone care to explain a little better than "the guide" as I've read it over and over.

Example:

Say I've got a lvl 5 helmet with 5 stars...
Does the stars contribute to the +fire ect. Or is it the dc/mc stats?
Anyway,
I salvage it and I can get one of two things...essence or design?
Does it mean that the 5 stars carry over to either one of them? Then what? I need to find another essence or design roughly same lvl?
Then upgrade what ever it is I need to upgrade with both ess & des. After that I get a red item but with no stars? ( which makes me think why I need to use high star items to salvage.?)
Then I use a 1mil scroll to get the best stats poss? Again does a 1m scroll give you better chance of getting a higher stared item?

Sorry if I've completely ruined your brain with this post but I'm struggling to fully understand it.

The only bit I kinda understand is the ess and design has to be volume higher than the items lvl.?

So I'm asking for a upgrading guide for numpies please!

As I said I've read it over and over but still dont get it.
Will give it another go tonight. But some additional info from you lotwould be nice.

It's intentionally a little bit mysterious, as it is the process by which the best items in the game are made. The players who are very good at it will keep the specifics of their techniques to themselves, because honestly, they have often put massive effort and expense into trial an error and want to reap the rewards of that.

But the basic understanding of it is certainly something that can be shared, I'm at work at the moment but I'll write up a quick run down of the mechanics of how it works when I get some time. Probably this afternoon, unless someone else writes it up first!

You've nothing to apologise for don't worry! It's a little complex but here's the basic rundown of the upgrade system.

The number of stars on an item merely represent the quality of the item.
1* - Superior
2* - Rare
3* - Magic
4* - Epic
5* - Exceptional
6* - Supreme
7* - Legendary
8* - Artefact

The quality of an item determines the number of magical properties on an item piece, NOT necessary representing the value of the stats added.

Example:
A Superior item may have only [+1 AC] added to them.
An Epic item may have [+1 AC] added, [3% Magic Defense] and [1% Physical Damage Increase].
An Artefact item may have [+1 AC], [3% Magic Defense], [1% Physical Damage Increase], [1% Elemental Damage Increase] and [2% Dark Resistance].

Notice the stat % is still the same on each quality of item, the only thing that changes is the number of magical properties.

--

So in this example, let's say:

You have a Level 100 Armour Piece that has 5* quality.
You salvage it.

The resulting product can either be an Essence or (in this example) an Armour Design.

The stats on the armour when you salvage won't influence what stats are added to the item that is being upgraded with the essence/design.
So, the armour you salvaged might have had Physical Defense Increase on it, that won't necessarily mean that the design/essence you get will apply Physical Defense Increase to the subsequent item you upgrade.

Essence
An essence will have three different attributes that will influence the output when applied to an item.
Volume - For every 10%, this increases the quality (number of stars) the upgraded item will potentially be.
Purity - This refers to the level of the item that can be upgraded. I.e. if you get 106%, that means you can use this on an item that is level 106 or below.
Slag - This attribute influences the value of a particular stat that is applied. The higher the slag, the lower the value of the stat will be. (e.g. a high % of slag might add "Physical Defense Increase + 0.5%", where as a low % of slag could add "Physical Defense Increase + 4%")

Example:

Volume 60%
Purity 106%
Slag 1.30%

This will have a chance of upgrading a level 106 item (or lower) to Supreme Quality but has a high chance (slag) of the magic properties having low stats.
I.e. Physical Defense Increase +1%

--

Design
A design is unique to the item that is salvaged, i.e. weapons = weapon design, and can only be used to upgrade other weapons. Boots = Boot Design, only upgrades other boots etc.
Quality - Same as volume, every 10% = the quality of the item once upgraded. 1-10% = Superior, 11-20% = Rare, 21-30% = Magic etc. etc.
Detail - Same as purity, it determines what level the item needs to be to be upgraded successfully. I.e. 106% design = the item must be level 106 or below or it won't work.
Fade - Same as slag, this determines the value of the stat that is applied to the item. Higher fade = lower value, low fade = higher value.

Example:

Quality 40%
Detail 112%
Slag 0.70%

This design will have a chance of upgrading a level 112 (or lower) to Epic Quality, and has a high chance (slag) of the magic properties having high value stats.
I.e. Physical Attack Increase +4%

Hope this clears things up a little, please let me know if you still don't understand and when I get home today I'll get some pictures / diagrams to illustrate better.

And here's some short answers for your questions.

Does the stars contribute to the +fire ect. Or is it the dc/mc stats?
No. Stats do not influence the output of the design or essence. Only level and quality of the item will determine the quality and level of the essence/design. (These are random by the way - you won't always receive a level 106 essence from a 106 item, equally you won't always receive an artefact design/essence from an artefact quality item)

Edit: just realised what you meant here, sorry I misread.
Typically yeah the stars are influenced by the number of magical properties on an item (such as Fire Damage +%) but also adding some Primary Stats using Gems/Orbs (such as AC/AMC/DC/SC/MC etc. see here for more details on Primary Stats) to items can increase it's quality a couple of stars at least as well.

I salvage it and I can get one of two things...essence or design?
Yeah, the chance is random. The designs are specific to the item you are salvaging - i.e. Weapons produce weapon designs, Jewelry produces Jewelry Designs etc. These can then only be used to upgrade an item of the same type.

Does it mean that the 5 stars carry over to either one of them?
Potentially yes, but the chance is random so it won't always result in an item of the same quality. It just has a higher chance of it not being a lower quality. You can even receive the upgraded item at higher quality than 5 stars, the chance is lower that's all.

Then what? I need to find another essence or design roughly same lvl?
Roughly yeah, or higher than the item you are trying to upgrade. Say your item is level 105, you need the essence and design to be 105% purity/detail or higher.

Then upgrade what ever it is I need to upgrade with both ess & des. After that I get a red item but with no stars? ( which makes me think why I need to use high star items to salvage.?)
The resulting item from a successful upgrade using the essence and design will become Unidentified (Red). You will need an Identification Scroll to reveal it's new stats.

Then I use a 1mil scroll to get the best stats poss? Again does a 1m scroll give you better chance of getting a higher stared item?
It won't give you higher stats - this is still determined by the amount of Slag/Fade from the essence & design. The higher quality scrolls will give you a better chance of revealing the item in it's best form relative to the stats of the design / essence used. So you can use a 1* design and essence, the scroll won't give you a better chance at Artefact quality, it will merely increase your chances of getting the best possible output from the design/essence.

So, here's an example:

You have:
Essence - [Volume: 80%] - [Purity: 105%] - [Slag: 0.70%]
Design - [Quality: 80%] - [Detail: 105%] - [Fade: 0.70%]

The resulting item (level 105 or below - Purity/Detail 105%) has a high chance of being Artefact quality (Volume/Quality 80%) with a good chance of having high stats (Fade/Slag 0.70%)

Using a low quality scroll has a higher likelyhood of revealing lower quality and lower stats. But because you used good quality design/essence, using a more expensive scroll will have a great chance of revealing the item with it's best possible qualities. The magic attributes will still be random, so don't think that just because you want Fire Damage % on your gear it will give you it. You may still get an undesired stat but it will have a good bonus % increase to it because of the slag/fade being low from the essence/design.

Sorry if I've completely ruined your brain with this post but I'm struggling to fully understand it.
Don't worry, nothing to apologise for. Every expert was once a beginner! Just remember though, you won't always receive great upgrades on your items after a couple tries at upgrading - the element of RNG is a force to be reckoned with! Like Zade says, some players have spent a lot of money and effort trying to upgrade their items. My 9.7% Lightning Damage Revival Ring took me a fair few goes before I got it how I wanted, and that's only a level 16 item, so imagine what it will be like with level 150+ items.

Beaten to it by the wonderful Warda :D Thanks for saving me a ton of typing hahaha
You're welcome! Thank you for having a go though as ever Zade!

There is still a chance it can fail, the higher level items are a little harder to upgrade.

So, I had a little go last night and spent a fortune lol

I have a few more questions for you...

What does "uni" mean?

How to gain karma? Does this give better outcomes?

Does all 3 items star have a play on the outcome? Or just the essence and design?

Ended up with a 6* belt but with wrong magic stats and I feel I could of sold the essence and design for quite a few million and just buy a belt out of AH
What is the bonus of upgrading yourself?

spent a fortune lol
yep, be prepared for that haha
What does "uni" mean?
unidentified / red
How to gain karma?
kill lots of stuff and don't pk
Does this give better outcomes?
I guess it should do, but very difficult to test this, would need GM to confirm I suppose
Does all 3 items star have a play on the outcome? Or just the essence and design?
The number of stars the item has before you craft it will not affect the outcome
Ended up with a 6* belt but with wrong magic stats and I feel I could of sold the essence and design for quite a few million and just buy a belt out of AH
Yep that's the chance you take, win some lose some
What is the bonus of upgrading yourself?
You get to make new items with higher stats that might not be available otherwise

Note: It's almost always far cheaper to simply buy an item with the stats you want if it's available. If you want something to have higher stats and there is none for sale with the stats you want, then that's where crafting comes into play

im here again :)

so ive been dabbling with upgrading just now, i had a 7 star 136 essence with a 138 design and tried upgrading lvl 132 zakkiel ring.

it goes uni, which is rare for me and got my hopes up a little!!

then i go put a 1mil scroll on it and it comes out blank with no stars? :/

is this meant to happen?

im here again :)

so ive been dabbling with upgrading just now, i had a 7 star 136 essence with a 138 design and tried upgrading lvl 132 zakkiel ring.

it goes uni, which is rare for me and got my hopes up a little!!

then i go put a 1mil scroll on it and it comes out blank with no stars? :/

is this meant to happen?

yep thats normal lol... its happened to me so many times.. ruins your day.. specially if you knew that design and ess could of been easily sold for a good 500+ gg. its even worse when its taken you ages to get the design and ess ready and then you see it fail like that. Sad times

i find if your put high star ess+des together you quite often get a uni then it turns normal... Overkill i believe but who knows thats the fun :p

yep thats normal lol... its happened to me so many times.. ruins your day.. specially if you knew that design and ess could of been easily sold for a good 500+ gg. its even worse when its taken you ages to get the design and ess ready and then you see it fail like that. Sad times

This happens quite frequently ive heard and it sounds like whatever formula or maths in the background cant cope with the high stats so simply goes normal after uni stage maybe by design or maybe bug only scorpion knows.....

Mate it’s simple!!! Get 4star+ design essence and you be fine. Don’t buy the 1mil scrolls as they don’t make any fykin difference. Obv people will not agree with me but am right :)

Back